Thursday, December 13, 2012

Voice Box commentary from Tom "Voice" Pattison



Hi everybody – Tom “Voice” Pattison here with the first installment of my “Voice Box” Commentary.

Former Warhawk men’s basketball coach Dave “Auggie” Vander Meulen told me early in my stint as the “radio voice of Warhawk basketball” that the key to a successful season is to play it “a game at a time.” No peaks and valleys. A game vs. Stevens Point or Platteville is no bigger than a game at Superior.

I remembered that advice in the final minutes of last night’s 72-61 loss to WIAC archrival UW-Stevens Point.

Admittedly the Hawks first loss of the season gives Point an early “leg up” in the conference race but it is a long season.

To the 1581 fans that were at Kachel Gym, and for those watching the game on UWW TV or listening to Gary Douglas on KOOL 106.5 remember the Hawk are still in the process of developing team chemistry, something that Coach Miller indicated would take some time.

I’ve been watching this team both in practice and during games and I see a very special team developing.  Wednesday night’s loss to Point is just part of that process.  I’m sure Coach Miller and Coach Chapman will take the positives from the game and coach the boys up and look forward – not back in preparation for its December 22nd game at Madison Edgewood.

On a more upbeat topic… Congratulations to Coach Keri Carollo and her Warhawk women’s basketball team at getting 58-55 win over Stevens Point at perhaps the toughest venue for visiting teams to win – Berg Gymnasium.
The Hawks sit on top of the WIAC standing with a 4 & 0 mark and are coming off a week in which the Warhawks beat both Eau Claire and Stevens Point – I call that “one heck of a week.”


The Hawk women now head to Holland, Michigan to participate in the Hope College Post Exam Slam. The 16th ranked Warhawks will play Kalamazoo College Friday afternoon at 4:30 CST. On Saturday No. 6 Hope and No. 16 Whitewater will square off in a high profile non-conference showdown.

On a personal note… I’ve now spent 25 years covering UW-Whitewater basketball. Its been my job and the adrenaline rush on game-days is a great feeling.  During my current battle with cancer I still get that rush and look so forward to getting the story to my readers.  Earlier yesterday I spent three hours receiving my bi-weekly chemotherapy treatment.  It has been a challenge for me to keep my energy up sitting on press row during games – particularly those Saturday doubleheaders.  While it has been taxing on me physically I have no plans to limit my work putting a face on Warhawk basketball for my loyal readers. ITS MY JOB!

No comments:

Post a Comment