Monday, November 19, 2012

Warhawk women's basketball team gives me valuable lesson in my battle with cancer

 
I decided to drive down to Monmouth, IL to watch the Warhawk women play Monmouth Sunday afternoon.  I had had a tough week both emotionally and physically in my ongoing battle with cancer. I just needed to “get out of town” for the day to ease my mind.

The UWW women fell in overtime to the Fighting Scots but Keri Corollo’s team taught me a valuable lesson.

For a third straight game this young season Whitewater found itself needing to fight back from a double digit deficit. The Hawks won its first two games in come from behind fashion but fell in overtime on Sunday down in Monmouth.

The Warhawks could have easily said “this just isn’t our day” but they dug down deep and were able to come back. 

I remember sitting in the stands along with a group of Warhawk parents cheering hard and thinking to myself that I need to have the same attitude and fight hard to win my game vs. cancer.

I was so tired driving home Sunday night and I literally had to sit in my garage about ten minutes just to have the strength to get out of car and be able to walk into the house.

Even watching the Hawks lose I watched the Hawk women give an effort that I need to accomplish.  “Never give up”  It’s a phrase Jim Valvano stated that is in the minds of all that face a battle with cancer.

Thank you to the UWW women’s basketball team for your effort and reinforcing my drive to never give up

No comments:

Post a Comment